Black People : can a bad person create good art?

the Cosby case raises the question : can a bad person create good art?
is the art work a separate entity from the artist?

many artists are not good people. do we reject their work?
Absolutely a bad person can create good art. However, today we judge not only at the art but the person as well. This often includes the individual's appearance, significant other, social/political beliefs, background, etc. The media makes it difficult to judge an artist for his/her art alone due to merchandising and packaging. For example, Bill Cosby wrote a book about fatherhood that sold very well because he portrayed a good father on a fictional TV program. Comedian Paul Reiser (the star of "Mad About You") has written successful books about family life because he portrayed a good family man on TV.

It's difficult for many of us to separate the person from the art. My wife used to be a big Tom Cruise fan until he split with Nicole Kidman amid rumors he was carrying on with Penelope Cruz. I'm a big fan of actor Sir Michael Caine. Would I still be a big fan if I discovered he was a member of a white supremacist group? Perhaps not.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back