Black People : Has Desegregation Led To New Illusions?

chuck

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 9, 2003
One of the reality checks/wake up calls we activists etc. of the sixties and seventies have yet to heed:

This notion that the mere desegregation of this nation's private and public institutions brought about an even playing field...

I. e,. some do choose to believe mere inclusion will bring about true equality, but inclusion of who and what the sake of what, posters?

Your feedback on this subject might be revealing of what few or none of us are making a difference, and in times like this!

Thanks in advance!

FYI...

First I want to say that I am not too familiar with the American system of politics or its justice system. What I can associate myself with is the fact that my ancestry has its origin in slavery just like those who are African American.

I think that the notion that desegregation has made life better for black folks is an illusion just as the one where black folks think that having an African American president will somehow remove all their problems...this is only a pipe dream.

There may be a black president, black mayors etc..but the bottom line is that black folks are still at the bottom of the economic totem pole. (remember in South Africa...during apartheid, the white racist government spent six times more money on a white child's education than a black). In the USA despite affirmative action, blacks are still discriminated against. The racial divide is still there. Racial prejudice is still deeply entrenched in the psyche of many whites.

RACE - The Power of an Illusion | White Advantage
  • Whites still continue to have the advantage over African Americans.
Masked Racism: Reflections on the Prison Industrial Complex

• Blacks incarcerated is a problem that needs to be tackled
U.S. Education System Is Failing Black Students - YouTube
President Obama Signs New Initiative to Improve Educational ...
The fact that the president signed this initiative clearly shows that the educational system is still failing blacks.

These issues mentioned in the links above show that there is still a long way to go.
This is my take Chuck.. Many can hold their heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich but these are issues that will not go away soon. Just my two cents worth...(Remember I am not an Amurcan:lol:) I am a keen observer though). Not sure if I made any imput but this is what I have observed..

First of all, and in all due respect, it was not and is not as though the typical black person here also had or have any sayso, i. e., over who is or who isn't being welcomed with open arms etc. to this nation...

Also, in all due honesty, people like yourself (if you are a former immigrant) are the exception, whereas even those with shared ancestry with us here usually didn't and don't even feel or think a need or a want to find out what else we share in common,
i. e., culturally/socially/etc.

Nothing new or news about that, since other immigrants also seek out those like themselves, i. e., for mutual advice/support/etc.

So, in my humble (or not so humble) opinion, it is on the (too oftentimes) personal and subjective side, many on both sides presume too much, and base it on far too little...

On the other hand: Though none of us here know 'everything-- most of us do know something-- i. e., be it about setbacks regarding africans truly controlling their fates among the nations/peoples of the African motherland or elsewhere...

It's just that we-- in the states-- can't be expected to be all things to all comers-- from the rest of the african disaspora...

A relative handful here also realized we had no or litttle choice to back Obama over Romney, and that had more to do with the setbacks to the victories won by the Civil Rights and Black Power movements the other candidate reflected, i. e.,, since their's no such thing as separate AND equal!

Instead, the misconception of what those of us-- in the Black Power camps-- were (or are advocating)-- had and has nothing or little to do with the mere skin tone etc. of the person winning various elective public offices, etc. etc. etc.

That is a self serving misrepresentation of what we were or are about too...

Romney lost because he also presumed emotional appeals merely being based on the white voters presumed shared biases (with his own) would rally the faithful to vote him into the White House...

If that was ever true, it's not anymore!

But the illusion of mere inclusion plagues our relations beliefs and their politics...

In all cases, truly knowing who is against or for us, has to be more than based on wishful 'thinking'...

One is reactionary or progressive, via their deeds and words...

End of speech...

FYI...

My dear sister, it was and is my life experience that all of us tend to operate on the basis of over idealistic takes, fail to keep in mind what reality was and is, i. e., be it generations of enslavement/segregation/etc. here, generations of white colonialism everywhere else...

Though our relations weren't and aren't the mere hapless (or helpless) victims some alleged black theorists and/or would be or real black leaders presume or assume they could get guilt ridden whites to give their bribes to either...

Hence the source of Romney's lame blame games and weak claims why he lost to Obama..

Though another Ben should heed the reality check/wake up call he tried to give the reelected colored guy in the White House!

I'll just leave it at that...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back