Jails / Prisons : Homeschoolers Interrogated by Secret Police, Face Imprisonment

Full Speed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 7, 2009
Four families who reside in Mahalapye, Botswana face an uncertain future due to an increasingly tense standoff over the issue of homeschooling. The families, adherents of the Seventh Day Adventist church, homeschool because of their religious and philosophical convictions. Despite their sincerely-held religious beliefs and the inability of the court to find any social or educational problems with the children, they have nonetheless been ordered by the local court to enroll their children in public school or face unknown consequences. On September 10, a judge in Botswana is scheduled to decide their fate. Attorneys for the family are seeking an urgent interdict to prevent the magistrate court from taking any action against this family. HSLDA is asking for your help.

Home School Legal Defense

Act Now on Behalf of Homeschoolers in Botswana

HSLDA requests that you contact the Embassy of the Republic of Botswana as soon as possible to respectfully and firmly point out that homeschooling is an effective approach to educating children and that as a country Botswana should protect the right of parents to choose homeschooling. Feel free to share your own positive experiences with home education. Please also contact the office of the President of Botswana and ask him to take swift action to protect these families before the September 10 deadline.

His Excellency Mr. Lapologang Caesar Lekoa
The Ambassador of the Republic of Botswana
1531-1533 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 244-4990
llekoa@botswanaembassy.org

HSLDA requests that you contact the Embassy of the Republic of Botswana as soon as possible to respectfully and firmly point out that homeschooling is an effective approach to educating children and that as a country Botswana should protect the right of parents to choose homeschooling. Feel free to share your own positive experiences with home education. Please also contact the office of the President of Botswana and ask him to take swift action to protect these families before the September 10 deadline.

His Excellency Mr. Lapologang Caesar Lekoa
The Ambassador of the Republic of Botswana
1531-1533 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 244-4990
llekoa@botswanaembassy.org

doesn't the specific form and content of the homeschooling matter?
or are you just for the abstract concept of homeschooling no matter what is
being taught and how? Culturally, I think we would have to know a hell of
a lot more about Botswana's culture before we could chime in any real
substantive way.. don't you think? Homeschooling is not some living breathing
thing that is universally good.. it's a transparent concept that takes on the
attributes of whatever you apply it to.. It could be good, bad and everything
in between.. so, it really comes down the specific cases.. doesn't it?​

doesn't the specific form and content of the homeschooling matter?
or are you just the abstract concept of homeschooling no matter what is
being taught and how? Culturally, I think we would have to know a hell of
a lot more about Botswana's culture before we could chime in any real
substantive way.. don't you think? Homeschooling is not some living breathing
thing that is universally good.. it's a transparent concept that takes on the
attributes of whatever you apply it to.. It could be good, bad and everything
in between.. so, it really comes down the specific cases.. doesn't it?​

Parental rights is universally good as long as it is not abusive to the child.

This is more about Parental rights Vs Governmental indoctrination.

From One of the Four Parents involved
“There is no way I will enroll my children in school under any circumstances,” Mr. Modimoothata told HSLDA Director of International Relations Michael Donnelly. “I must obey God. The schools here are corrupt and teach my children things that go against our faith and our values. I cannot allow them to go to these schools.”

It should concern every homeschooling family in the world that judges are increasingly using provisions of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child to intervene in homeschooling families, forcing parents to send their children to government schools. Sweden is another country that has adopted draconian measures against homeschooling families, citing its “obligations” under the UN CRC.

“Unfortunately, there appears to be a heavy bias in some countries against the rights of parents to decide what is best for their children,” said Donnelly. “We have seen egregious cases of authoritarian treatment of homeschooling families in Germany and Sweden in Europe, and now with Botswana in Africa. We call on policy makers in Botswana to take swift action to protect the rights of parents to determine the best form of education for their children, including homeschooling. And we are asking our members to take action in defense of these brave families in Mahalapye!”

We don't need to know a lot about the culture, just that as a country Botswana should protect the right of parents to choose homeschooling.

By chiming in, we are only calling for freedom of parental choice.

I home schooled my kids for a while and as long as you are teaching them the assigned number of hours and curriculum it is pretty much worry free. IMO it was better that regular schooling. But everything has it's pros and cons. Also your child is tested to make sure schooling is being conducted.

Peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back