Black People : What Do You Know And Understand About Us 'Black Indians'?

The typical image is of Plains folk etc., and/or that ole image of the so called 'noble savage', as though indigenous folk had never risen to the level of so called civilization, i. e., which those Pyramids etc. all over these three continents easily disputes, and/or all of them didn't just fall, because of white invaders...

My guess is the people themselves voted with their feet, in the case of some of them...

The same principles apply to exactly why, as was or is true of those who came before or after them, all over the globe...

FYI

Fanon also spoke up/out/etc. about how some folks prophesies etc. fortold the coming of whites in their midst, and presumed the wrong things about them...

Their downfalls etc. came about because they didn't truly know or understand how different they were, as in the newcomers motives were hardly based on any true desire to evolve/grow/etc. via their new contacts etc.

FYI

The initial post of this thread asked the question, "What do you know and understand about Black Indians?" Fast forward 21 pages later, it appears that we know and understand very little about people who classify themselves as Black Indians. To those people, every opinion in the book is leveled at them and the emotions elicited by a question about Black Indians can range from general apathy to downright disdain.

So when the occasional question comes up or infrequent topic about Black Indians, some here question why discuss this on a Black forum. It is highly relevant to the Black experience. Many of those who seek to acknowledge their ancestry that is non-African are not trying to find a separation piece from others and in my belief, are not trying to deny the fact that they are essentially an African people. It is to bring awareness that Black people in America come in many shapes, sizes and backgrounds.

Bottom line is Black people are not monolithic whatsoever. We have Black Christians, Black Muslims, Black Buddhists, Black atheists, Black traditionalists, etc.... Even within these groups, we have divisions. From Christians, we have African Methodists, Christian (Colored) Methodists, Baptists, Pentecostals (Sanctified), etc. Black Muslims identify as NOI, Orthodox, Sunni, Shia... Even Black traditionalists can vary from Yoruba, Akan, Kongo, Ewe-Fon, Igbo...

Some will look at these divisions, shake their head and poignantly proclaim that this is why we can't unify as a people. However, it is not the divisions that created the barrier for unification; it is the mindset of those within the various divisions that harbor negative opinions and attitudes of others who seek to not identify like them or view others with suspicion that have created the barriers that have consistently hindered our people to this day.

When our ancestors stepped foot on the shores of this land, they came as Wolof, Bambara, Malinke, Susu, Balante, Mende, Kpelle, Akyem, Fanti, Dagomba, Ewe, Aja, Popo, Yoruba, Bini, Igbo, Fang, Kongo, Vili, Msundi, Mbundu, Chokwe, Lunda, Ovimbundu and multitude of other ethnic groups in between. They were not one people; however, shared circumstances and physical characteristics worked to dissolve these divisions and they all eventually combined to create the core ethnicity of who we are today. Likewise, the shared circumstances and similar social position allowed for those who made up our core ethnicity to intermingle with the enslaved, displaced and scattered original inhabitants of this country. Out of many, we as a people arose as one yet we still have our distinctions be it regional, religious or family-specific. Essentially, the question we face now is do we allow those distinctions to control us and prohibit us from functioning as one and for what is in the best interest for us as a whole.

First of all, of course it is the choice and right of other posters to decide what is or is not important/relevant/significant/etc. to them, and considering what else concerns and wories us all, it is not as though these topics stopped being important/relevant/etc. to us...

I also suggest we continue to kick it about such matters via emails and among like minded posters...

After all, we are some of the examples as why we do believe our right to define ourselves doesn't deny their's...

chuckthompson610@yahoo.com

FYI

First of all, Blackbird, my question was/is being directed at the posters in general, not at you in particular, so I must admit being dumbfounded and puzzled etc., when you felt and thought a need and a want to speak for them...

Second of all, better for you to have make clear those other comments you made were about/to them, and not me...

Third and lastly: Of course their choice and right to air personal opinions, but one does have to contrast that with verifiable facts, etc.

I don't ask or expect them to measure up to my personal standards:

Not their right to expect me to measure up to their's...

Only others like ourselves know and understand it is hardly the judgement calls of individuals--and strangers--to tell anybody else who is or who isn't 'an indian'...

Some folks make it personal, choose to be subjective about it all, and they undermine any serious discussion/debate, regardless of the subject/topic thread...

FYI

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back