Black People : question for the experts (somali roots)

Thanks to your father, I never knew there was a Somolian birth record of 800 years! Realize also, that there weren't 50 million territorial divisions before the "age of conquer".This was done for control. Your ancestral knowledge will be an asset to the community. Join the Chat Room sometimes. Brother OldSoul is a pioneer in African/African American History. He holds classes here once or twice weekly. Look foward to seeing you there..... enjoy your stay at Destee.com

:spinstar: :coffee: :spinstar:

King

question for the experts (somali roots)

someone told me that i have arab blood in me

is this true??

are they talking about the first black arabs?

and i have problems with europeans who call me caucassion or some **** like that

don't they mean europeans have east african features

i'm an african dammit
Well, I'm no "expert", but I know a lil' sussing about race and history.

Bear with me, this may get a little complicated.....

First of all don't confuse race with nationality.

Your NATIONALITY is Somali but within both Somalia and Africa itself dwell many different races so even if you do have white or Arab ancestry that doesn't mean you aren't African.

Secondly, MOST Somalis like most Ethiopians are a mixed people and many do have Arab as well as Hebrew blood.

Basically the brown skinned Asiatic Hebrews who escaped Jerusalim to keep from being enslaved by the Chaldeans migrated down into the African horn (through Egypt) about 2500 years ago and many mixed in with the original Black tribes who lived in that region.
They were known as "Falashas" or strangers.

This is the main reason why most Somalis, Eritreans, and Ethiopians don't look like most other Africans.....except for the few nomadic people of the mountains.

They are mixed.

Later on, the TRUE Arabs from Yemen also started pouring into the African horn and mixing in with the people already there, and empires such as the Saba (Sheba) and the Axumite empire that spanned both the African horn as well as southern Arabia did much to mix the populations.

No one can deny the striking resemblance between Somalis and Yemenis despite one being Arabian and the other East African.

But the reason Somalis have more Arab blood than their Ethiopian neighbors is because 2 Arab traders came among the Somalis bringing Islam and eventually married into the community.
I believe 2 tribes trace thier lineage directly back to those Arab traders.

DualK

Have you ever BEEN to Ethiopia? There are a considerable number of unmixed folks there....considerable. Unfortunately, the ones who are ALWAYS depicted in the media are the mixed ones so we get the impression that that's what most of the population looks like, but it's not true. Africans (I am not referring to nonblacks when I use that term) come in different physical types, but they are still BLACK.

Blacklioness

Have you ever BEEN to Ethiopia?
No, neither have I been to the Puerto Rico but I know they are also mixed people through reading and meeting those who've been there.

There are a considerable number of unmixed folks there....considerable.
True.
Lol...there are a "considerable" number of gay people in America also but they aren't the majority.
There are over 50 million people in Ethiopia so even 1% of their population (500,000) would be a considerable number.
But does that cancell out the fact that MOST are of mixed heritage?

Unfortunately, the ones who are ALWAYS depicted in the media are the mixed ones so we get the impression that that's what most of the population looks like, but it's not true. Africans (I am not referring to nonblacks when I use that term) come in different physical types, but they are still BLACK.
True again.
I'm not sure about the Ethiopians who remain home and don't come West, I can only speak of the many I've met in both America and Canada and most of them look mixed.

How do you personally know the people you see are not mixed?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back