Black Spirituality Religion : Why in the world did slaves believe in the christian god?

I don't get it. They're feed this story about an all-loving god who loves and protects them yet everyday they live their lives in fear of being beaten, raped or killed. They believe that praying and having faith will get them through it yet generations of them live and die in agony and fear. It's truly inconceivable to me.

I didn't want to talk about this because I know a lot of people here are christian and have strong feelings about their religion but I was just watching a program about segregation and I found some of the imagery and words too much to bare. I had to keep looking away and turning the channel until I just turned the TV off. I can't imagine how slavery was compared to this. I can't see why anyone back then or now would still believe that an all-loving god is looking over them.

Another thing is how some black activist talk about how god will help them against the white supremacists yet it was the white supremacist who taught (or maybe even forced) the idea of god upon them in the first place. Someone please explain to me how any of this makes sense. If someone were beating you up badly and kept talking about a righteous being that can "save" you, would you have strong faith that this righteous being that your attacker is talking about will help save you from that person? All the while the attacker is saying that he is also in the being's good grace?

The Methodist Church in the South had formed strong rules against slavery, and slaveholders. Slavery was deemed to be against the laws of God, man and nature, and hurtful to society." In about 1784, Methodists grew bold as to say that they "promised to excommunicate all Methodists not freeing their slaves within two years." By 1820, however, the Methodist church in the South was increasingly on one accord with its culture on the issue of race, and was advocating a "Mission to the Slaves." Many slave owners used this as a weapon to encourage slaves to turn the other cheek and accept their lot in life. And built praise houses, and recruited black preachers to proclaim the Lord's name, although, with a white monitor to "keep them in line." Today you see many African Methodist Episcopal Churches.

I believe that although slave owners had underlying intentions for encouraging slaves to Christianity, something else happened far greater.

Our enslaved ancestors developed a personal relationship with the One True Living God. They had conversations with their Heavenly Father and He revealed to them mysteries and secrets that only one communing with Him would be told. They worshipped Him and cleaved to Him daily and were empowered by the Holy Spirit to intercede for their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who attempted to endure the pain of slavery in their own strength. They did not endure the abuse of slavery in their own strength, but by the strength..the power of God. The Word of God was engraved in their hearts, so they didn't need man to interpret who God was, they knew God for themselves.

I'm reminded of Romans 8:28 (King James Version)

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

james rule......

any religion that is forced on people is invalid. it is invalidated by the very fact that it's teachings allow it's people to apply deadly force.
as we well know if you have something that is of value to people you do not have to force it on them, they will steal it.

any religion that is forced on people is invalid. it is invalidated by the very fact that it's teachings allow it's people to apply deadly force.
as we well know if you have something that is of value to people you do not have to force it on them, they will steal it.

It's not how you start a thing, but how you finish.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

The Methodist Church in the South had formed strong rules against slavery, and slaveholders. Slavery was deemed to be against the laws of God, man and nature, and hurtful to society." In about 1784, Methodists grew bold as to say that they "promised to excommunicate all Methodists not freeing their slaves within two years." By 1820, however, the Methodist church in the South was increasingly on one accord with its culture on the issue of race, and was advocating a "Mission to the Slaves." Many slave owners used this as a weapon to encourage slaves to turn the other cheek and accept their lot in life. And built praise houses, and recruited black preachers to proclaim the Lord's name, although, with a white monitor to "keep them in line." Today you see many African Methodist Episcopal Churches.

I believe that although slave owners had underlying intentions for encouraging slaves to Christianity, something else happened far greater.

Our enslaved ancestors developed a personal relationship with the One True Living God. They had conversations with their Heavenly Father and He revealed to them mysteries and secrets that only one communing with Him would be told. They worshipped Him and cleaved to Him daily and were empowered by the Holy Spirit to intercede for their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who attempted to endure the pain of slavery in their own strength. They did not endure the abuse of slavery in their own strength, but by the strength..the power of God. The Word of God was engraved in their hearts, so they didn't need man to interpret who God was, they knew God for themselves.

I'm reminded of Romans 8:28 (King James Version)

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

.......Well said Proverbs31Woman, well said indeed.

I don't get it. They're feed this story about an all-loving god who loves and protects them yet everyday they live their lives in fear of being beaten, raped or killed. They believe that praying and having faith will get them through it yet generations of them live and die in agony and fear. It's truly inconceivable to me.

I didn't want to talk about this because I know a lot of people here are christian and have strong feelings about their religion but I was just watching a program about segregation and I found some of the imagery and words too much to bare. I had to keep looking away and turning the channel until I just turned the TV off. I can't imagine how slavery was compared to this. I can't see why anyone back then or now would still believe that an all-loving god is looking over them.

Another thing is how some black activist talk about how god will help them against the white supremacists yet it was the white supremacist who taught (or maybe even forced) the idea of god upon them in the first place. Someone please explain to me how any of this makes sense. If someone were beating you up badly and kept talking about a righteous being that can "save" you, would you have strong faith that this righteous being that your attacker is talking about will help save you from that person? All the while the attacker is saying that he is also in the being's good grace?

M.E.
:hearts2:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back